Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Forced Hiatus

September was my Month O' Running. I really was getting into it... I surprised myself at the Christie Cookie and ran much better than I thought I would. Going into the race, I was hoping to run it in 25:00... and I almost got my goal.


I ran the Party race the next weekend and shaved 1 second off my time. It was a much tougher course than the Cookie race, but I had thought that I maybe had placed in the top 3 in my age group. Of course, that wasn't the case, as I finished 11th in my age group. It did inspire me that maybe I could run faster... so I stepped up my training for the next 5K, the Shelby Bottoms Boogie.


Big mistake.


It's been over a month now since that race. I did well; finished 2nd in my age group and PR'd. Ran sub-8 minute miles for the first time, ever. Unfortunately, during the race, my ankle started bothering me. Really bothering me. I had done two speedwork sessions the prior week and stepped up my milage. My ankle had started hurting the Tuesday prior to the race but I foolishly ignored it.


Lesson learned. After 2.5 weeks of hobbling around with a swollen ankle, I decided it was time to see the doctor. We did some x-rays and plain as day, the stress fracture on my right ankle was discovered. I've been in a walking boot for 3 weeks now, and I'm seeing the doctor for follow-up today. I'm a little concerned, as the ankle still hurts and is still a little swollen. I'm getting really tired of not running... I even catch myself cursing other runners that I see... "Bitch... " Yeah. That's kind of weird.


1 comment:

The Laminator said...

Hi! Sorry about your ankle. hope your recovery goes well.

No...not that crazy. I said the same thing the other day, right after my marathon, when I saw a 4 year kid and her mom run faster than me up a flight a stairs to catch a train that I knew I couldn't make because I was hobbling so bad.

Hang in there. You're a really fast runner, but you have to let your injury fully heal before getting back out ther.

Best of luck and continued running success!